Please join the Parent Attorney Advocacy Committee for a free lunch and learn seminar on appeals in dependency and termination of parental rights cases presented by Darice Good. The seminar will take place at the State Bar of Georgia, Room 1 on Friday, April 11th from 11:30 – 1:30. Participants can attend in person or online. Two hours of general CLE* credits will be available.
To attend in person at the Bar Center, register here: http://bit.ly/1d1xWR3
To attend online, register here: http://www.anymeeting.com/PIID=EA54DD80804C38
*CLE fees are not included and should be paid directly to the Bar.
Training Survey: Please take the time to complete the short online survey so that we can better meet your training needs. Please also consider volunteering to present at a future training. There is room to enter your name to volunteer on the survey.
The Parent Attorney Advocacy Committee (PAAC) was formed in 2008 to improve the quality of representation for parents, to promote the preservation of families, and to assure justice for children. PAAC activities are funded and supported through a grant from the Supreme Court Justice for Children Committee. To achieve its goals, PAAC has organized parent attorneys as a group to provide its members with information, training and practice support.
PAAC’s Mission: “To unify and strengthen the voice of parent attorneys concerned about families involved with the child welfare system, to support a broad agenda for advocacy, to improve the quality of representation for parents, to provide a forum for information sharing and discussion and to assure justice for children and families.”
The Parent Attorney Advocacy Committee is working to:
- ensure that every parent has competent representation in Georgia’s Juvenile Courts;
- develop and offer comprehensive training programs for parent attorneys and public defenders who represent parents;
- ensure that parent attorneys have adequate resources to provide quality representation;
- improve Georgia’s child welfare system through education, legislative efforts and policy advocacy.
PAAC membership benefits include:
- Access to the PAAC listserv where members exchange information;
- Access to the PAAC members’ only section of www.parentattorney.org, which features sample motions, orders and briefs;
- Newtworking and referral opportunities with parent attorneys statewide;
- Access to training opportunities for new and experienced parent attorneys;
- Scholarship opportunities for national and state conferences;
- Meetings through which members can formulate and express their positions on legislation, policies and other matters affecting the administration of child welfare law in Georgia;
If you have any questions or concerns regarding parent representation, if you would like to attend a Committee meeting or if PAAC can provide you with any assistance, including training, please contact the Committee through our Coordinator Jan Hankins at 404-232-8900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.